Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Critique: Vox Special Travel Issue

Department Pages: Books, Back of Book
This week was hard.

I was the first in my department to design, and this was the only page that I had to work on that week for Back of Book. I blogged about weeks ago.

This week, I had to design two pages: one for the Books department and one for Back of Book (Endnotes). I also put together three galleys for evergreen content.

What made this week difficult was the art confusion. When I designed, the photo for the On The Job wasn't in the folder and when Aaron found it, it hadn't been toned.


So, looking at the finished design, I feel like the blue bars for the department were a poor decision. I also learned (if you look at my first Vox Asks Columbians page) that the people for VAC are supposed to be in alphabetical order.

Another challenge I had was filling the space on my Books page. (Which I am not posting here, because the final design is not mine. Someone apparently had a way better way of organizing this information, and I applaud them. Though I do wish I would have been told ... ) The story and sidebar were not very lengthy and the cover art had to be pretty large to fill in some of the white space. I thought mine worked - I had the art on the opposite side and the sidebar vertical on the right. This layout seems a little less cramped, so I do appreciate that. I am just happy I was, at least originally, able to arrange everything. I know other departments had so little content they had to place house ads on the spreads.

1 comment:

  1. I just love the tea-shirts! It's a clever idea. Design sponge in such a neat site. They have the coolest postings.
    Your department pages turned out good. I agree that last week was challenging. I had trouble with art too and organizing all the content. Nice job adjusting though, looks good!

    ReplyDelete