Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Critique: First Group (2) Cover Contest



(first) Cover: I really liked the photos for this competition a lot better than I the photos for the pageant story, so I chose to make two covers with photo choices. For the three different covers, I used the three different headline options. For the headline Butts, I had thought of using a photo illustration, but this photo of the girl's hand and her cigarette. I placed the headline near the butt of the cigarette because my original thought was to treat it like a label. This is the cover that was chosen for me to work on.

The other two designs:



To explain the sell line treatment on the cover with the second photo, I was thinking that if I was a "social" smoker (so, someone who didn't really consider themselves a smoker), I wouldn't want my face on the cover of a magazine engaging in a habit that I don't feel like is a huge part of my life.

The third design was based off of a facebook logo that I found online. I created the logo in Illustrator and added the cigarette. For the font, I used futura because it looked the font from the movie social network. (I had also thought about using a font that looked like facebook's.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
What's next:
My updated cover design is due in lab, so that is my current project. For class we have the logo designs coming up and, of course, the Meredith projects. I will be working on the Modern Midwest design, and I am looking forward to learning more about that publication as it develops.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

3 comments:

  1. Erica - I really love the "butts" cover design that was chosen for you to work on. When I walked up to the table with all the cover options on it after the Vox staff meeting on Monday, that one is the one that my eyes went to first. I really love the simplicity of it, and I like that you chose a font that doesn't seem to overdramatic, but rather sophisticated. I will be interested to see how you've developed it tomorrow in lab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy the first cover very much~I always love simple design. And your No.1 cover is also the first I noticed among all on the desk. The picture is awesome. the only things I would offer a little suggestion is that maybe you can use a more powerful typo for the deck~though I really love the typo of BUTTS. And the color in the VOX box seems to weaken the impressiveness of your cover. Maybe a less obvious color can better highlight the picture . That's only what I thought, hope that helps~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work on the smoking covers. I love the "butts" one, because I think not having a specific face in it adds to its appeal. I think often times when I see a magazine with a cover photo of a specific person, I assume the story is more about that person than the larger topic. By using the hand with the cigarette, the design is much more focused on the topic of smoking.

    ReplyDelete