Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Response: Judging

Making choices is hard.

I thought the process of selecting the top magazines was fascinating. Having a group of people make decisions based on their individual preferences and then forcing the group to reach a consensus is almost cruel.

I (and probably others, as well) felt like a lot of really great spreads were discarded.

Personally, I feel almost responsible for not properly sticking up for a few of them, and of course not representing one I really love well enough to convince anyone it deserved to stick around. I tried to be super honest, though.

After going through the process of explaining and defending my own designs, I found it extremely difficult to defend someone else's work.
1. Because there were a few things I felt could be changed to make it better and
2. Because there wasn't any way I could know exactly what the designer had intended.

It is nice to have the opportunity to tell one another what our thought process was and what effect we were going for. Readers don't have that luxury. There's no sticky note on the page cluing them in to why we placed that line there or why we chose that typeface.

So, design becomes art. Left up to the interpretation of its audience regardless of its creator's intent. Scary. I think this is making my prototype project even more intimidating.

1 comment:

  1. I thought this was difficult too! It's tough because we base our designs so much around a story and have to read it beforehand.

    For this task, we didn't have time to read anything and had to solely interpret everything based on the design.

    ReplyDelete