Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Critique: Magazine Prototype

Modern Midwest:
Referring to the plans the team had created, I wanted to steer away from the typical set up for covers – essentially, no wreaths or white plates of food. I wanted it to reflect what the magazine was about: cool places to go, things to do or see, etc in the Midwest. And two covers down (here and here), I realized sushi makes for a truly horrible cover.

For my color palette I chose five colors I was pretty excited about. They were bright and a fun combination of colors not typically associated with the midwest. Because while this magazine is about the midwest and for the midwest, it is also about breaking stereotypes of the midwest. (Do you capitalize Midwest?)

I created a cutout version of each cover and played around with the typeface on the cover. I think it could be pushed a little more. Right now, I am really liking the idea of having the words just bleed off the page. I just don't know how much each can be pushed and still remain legible.

(Here's a link to my department, which needs a lot of spicing up, and to my feature, which needs more focus.)

3 comments:

  1. The Colour Lovers App is so neat; what a good idea!
    Your cover looks great. I like the logo and the sell line treatment. The different colors and font works well. The department is organized and easy to read. I like the side bar and the vertical title on the right page. I think the feature is on the right track. I like how the photo is used for both an illustration and background for the text. The transparent box looks nice, but the text might be a little hard to read, unless it's just the image I'm looking at. The prototype looks great so far. I'm excited to see it in class today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your feature spread. It might have been my favorite original design of everything we looked at for these prototypes. Way to play up that exquisite photo. Where did you find it? The colors are great. I have a thing for grey and yellow (and for spelling "grey" as the Brits do)...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your cover photo was an excellent choice. I think it really captures the mood of the publication, and was shot in a really interesting manner. Great job!

    ReplyDelete