Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Critique: Spring Preview





























Cover: I had a hard time getting my cover together. The computer I was working on really couldn't handle more than one adobe program running at a time. I did find out that photoshop has a really neat 3-D effect that would've worked well. I ended up just making copies of the text, changing the color and placing them behind the white text.

Splash page: I couldn't get the idea of these little toy binoculars out of my head, and after placing them on the page, they really looked like birds to me.

Spread: I created different corner designs for the spread below: puddles, trees, flowers and bird feeders. There was a lot of information to place on this spread, and I had a difficult time trying to organize it so it was readable and not too hard on the eyes. I used lines to separate each date and the colored boxes to help the stories/reviews stand out from the rest.


7 comments:

  1. Erica, you did a great job on your Spring Preview design! I love the binoculars, they are so adorable. I like how you connected them to the splash page and used them as birds. It all looks very put together.
    I had never heard of Dribbble.com; it seems like a really cool site. I will have to check out more of the designs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really great. I think that your concept is really unique, and it's a different approach to approach a spring-themed issue without being too "springy." I really like your tagline on the cover, and I love the way you made the little guys look like birds. I think the technical execution could have been a little better, but that probably just comes down to knowing the software really well. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erica, I love the way your binocular idea came out. The design came out great and I love the 3D font on the cover. My favorite part is probably the tagline and I think it probably should've been even bigger so you could see how clever it was right away! I really like how you tied your theme into your feature spread too. All in all I really like it and just wanted to let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your splash page. It was executed well. I think your tagline could have stood out more on the cover since it was super funny, and tied everything together. I think you have a great concept.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you made the grass look so realistic on your cover. I think the orange goes well with the rest of the colors, but the red is a little distracting. It almost calls too much attention to the other sell lines. The large 3D text does help to pull the eye back though. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the 3-D effect you have going throughout your design. I also think the toy binoculars are hilarious; I'm a big fan.

    I'd love to talk with you sometime about how you achieved the 3-D look. It almost looks like cut paper or a collage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the cover. Love the tagline. Really just love everything about it. I laughed when I saw this, because I think overall it is very witty. I think you did a really good job at making your Spring Preview have spring undertones but also have it's own idea.
    Also, I had never heard of dribble.com, but it's really awesome.

    ReplyDelete